Biyernes, Disyembre 16, 2011

English75: Reading Log

                                                                                          

That’s the way, Joshuway by Rhoda Wooldridge

Part I:

1. Reflect- I think it was inspiring that Joshua had overcome and conquered all the hardships that he’d gone through. From the hands of his Uncle Sol, where he was being forced to work beyond his limitations. And sometimes, he was being awarded with some slap and kick from his Uncle.
          Despite of all those circumstances and Joshua’s young age of 13, he remained to become the boy that his Grandpap wanted him to be.

2. Connect- Nowadays, I have seen so many “Joshua” around our community. They were the kids who were maltreated by other people and even members of their own family.
          While I was reading this book, it reminds me of those children whom I’ve met at the orphanage where we had our acquaintance party last year. It was very touching scene to witness their laughter and joy as we shared our simple presents for them. Those wrapped stuffs mean almost nothing to us but for them it was a big thing. And those innocent smiles they’d given to us had touched us. It was just sad to know that some of them carry tragic stories inspite of their very young ages they had already gone to this kind of situation.
          In that way, I had able to appreciate how blessed and thankful I am for having things I have now. My family, friends and the capability to go to school.

3. Question- I’m just puzzled if why Joshua was eager to go to West? What does it has that he’s so desperate to travel all alone just to reach that place? Knowing that Matt Crawford and family were there to accept him to become part of their family.

4. Predict- I think, when Joshua will able to reach West, the place he longed to visit. He will also find the real completeness that he desired to have. Matt Crawford and Callie will have another baby girl and will name her Laurence in remembrance to their late daughter who just died from cholera.




Part ll-

9. Describe your feelings about character. Copy down a quote from a character and tell why you think it’s meaningful.

Josh Carver- I felt it was brave for such a young boy like him who had able to overcome this kind of situation. I believe that the author had create such a strong character in this story in order for the readers to realize that they should also have this kind of will to fight in any circumstances that they will encounter.

Matt Crawford- In this story, he is just an old fellow who had a tender heart for josh. I felt so glad when his character came into the scene. His appearance had made Josh to pursue things that he wanted to do.

Uncle Sol- His character presents the first conflict of the story. I felt bad about his treatment towards Josh, who had taste his cruelty.

Quotation:
“I figure it’s a sight better living with folks who want you,
 Than begging strangers to take you along on a trip.”
-Josh Carver

This quotation had leaved a mark on my head. Josh said this on the last chapter of the book, when he decided to stay and live with the Crawford family and to become part of them. Because it’s really true that you don’t need to beg someone to take you with them. There’s no need for you to ask those strangers  if you know that there’s someone out there who is willing to accept and stay for you.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento